Saturday, February 12, 2011

Resist(ance) is Futile

Today was our monthly Stamp Club meeting. These ladies come to my Stampin' Garage on a monthly basis to PLAY!

They've become friends through stamping, which I think is awesome!

I generally try to teach them a technique each month, and then encourage them to take the technique and turn it into a full card. They have access to all my stamps, inks, and papers the the Stampin' Garage.

The technique I taught this month is called Emboss Resist.

Pretty simple technique to do.

Basically: Stamp w/Versamark, emboss with clear embossing powder.



And then use a sponge to rub ink OVER the embossed image.



The ink will stick where there is no embossing, and the embossed portion will continue to show the original card stock color through it. I used Real Red to sponge this version of the "Love" stamp.

Darker colors tend to show off the embossed image better.

This one was made by embossing the Medallion stamp, sponging it with Rich Razzleberry Ink.

Then I dug around and found some old DSP that matched it pretty well, and added a 1/4" Rich Razzleberry taffeta ribbon to cover where the two papers meet.

I stamped the "Just for You" from the Level 1 Hostess set from the big catalog, "Afterthoughts" .

There's actually more on the "just for you" stamp, but I chose to just use those words for this card. The rest says "...so you don't have to share".

Oh - and did you see them? Those awesome pearls - AGAIN?!!?

Go ahead, scroll back up and try to find them. I'll wait...

This technique works best with more solid images, but I also played around with one of the background stamps:

This one is Bella Toile, sponged with Pacific Point.

And here's my version of the card that let me down this emboss resist path this week. I copied it from Kimberly van Diepen's blog (thanks, Kimberly! Love your style).


Lots of soft colors here. I used Baja Breeze and Ivory CS, and sponged with both Baja Breeze and Soft Suede.

And of course, added the Crumb Cake seam binding.

I gotta tell ya - I just LOVE that seam binding - it's so thin, soft, and pliable and doesn't create huge knots when you use it on a card. And now we carry it in 7 different colors!

Hope you had a beautiful day! It certainly was here - like 75 degrees with lots of sun. It felt great to open up the house and air it all out!

Thanks for stopping by. Come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment