Sunday, January 30, 2011

Letter Press musings...

I finally dragged out my Letter Press embossing plate again about a week ago and decided I'd give it another try.

I wasn't very impressed with what I'd made the first time several months ago, so put it away and didn't give it any more thought. UNTIL I saw on someone's blog that they'd put DSP thru it!

I had an "aha" moment and realized that since the DSP is thinner paper, it would probably show the embossing better.

So I ran a number of types of papers thru, trying many variations to get the right pressure on the paper and the letter press plate.

I found DSP shows the embossing MUCH better than most card stock does. BUT, I also found that confetti card stock showed the embossing even better than the DSP!

Why, you ask? Well, I can't give you a scientific reason, but my thoughts on it are that the confetti CS breaks down more easily than regular CS - and so does the DSP.

What do you think?

This is confetti card stock. Notice how it cracked where the CS hit the edge of the plate - up where there was no ink applied to the plate (oops - my bad, LOL).







This is DSP. It shows some texture, but it isn't as easily photographed as the confetti. In person you can see it and feel it, though, and it adds nice texture.








When I ran the regular CS thru the letter press, I got a nicely inked image (I used Craft ink on the letter press), but it really didn't emboss it very much. I tried to photograph it, andi doesn't show up.

Since the confetti paper cracked so easily, I decide tearing it would probably look nice.

Here's a card I made, using the letter pressed confetti paper and some DSP.

I added a button, laced with 1/8" taffeta ribbon, a key, and a crown.






Here they are in close up.











And did you catch it?

Did you catch the little pearl half peeking out from underneath the lower part of the torn confetti CS?

You didn't? OK. I'll post the photo again - look more closely this time...

See it?


No?


OK...

How about an close up shot?





Kinda cool, huh?

Just peeking out from underneath, all shy and everything...








I have a few other things I've made using the papers I put thru the letter press, but I'm going to save them for another time.

If you have any questions about the letter press plates, leave me a comment, or send me an email!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment