Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Initially...

I'm planning things for our monthly stamp club meeting this Saturday, and since I just got the Serif Alphabet Big Shot dies, I've decided we'll do something with initials or monograms.

Tonight's post is my proto-type of a Bag Tag we'll make. Here are the two components of the bag tag - the scallop, made with Circles, Scallop #2 die (larger scallop), and my initial.

I cut Pumpkin Pie DSP, a piece of chipboard, and a piece of Whisper White CS all at the same time. I cut the "S" using Tangerine Tango CS and chipboard.

I keep tablet backs or packing materials from SU shipments to use for these occasions - anything that's about that weight. It makes wonderful "stiffeners" for things like this. It also helps make them more dimensional.

Here's one side of my finished Bag Tag. I added one of the large flowers from the Pretties Kit, as well as 2 different sizes of the half pearls from the same kit.

There's also a little glitter on the "S" which doesn't show well. Since there was glue residue, I decided to pour the glitter over it to see what, if anything, might stick and cover the glue. It worked!

You can see a little Whisper White CS at the top - when I cut the P. Pie DSP, it was mis-positioned on the die and ended up a scallop or two short, so I masked that by cutting a small piece of WW on the die to cover that area.

I deliberately tell you about my mistakes - they're great teaching tools! I've found there are no mistakes in stamping - only opportunities to use all those wonderful accessories that I've been hoarding! haha

I've also dyed the large flower by placing it on the P. Pie Classic pad and applying water from the Aqua Painter.

When you do that, the flower soaks up color from the pad. You'll get a variation in color, but Mother Nature does that, too, so it's OK!

I then used some mini-glue dots and folded the flower in half, then adhered it to the Tag. Mini-glue dots were also used to adhere the half pearls.

And here's the other side. For this side I used Whisper White CS. I stamped it with the small flourish stamp from the Priceless set with P. Pie ink. I cut a second "S" from the P. Pie DSP used on the other side, as well as one from chipboard and glued them together.

I had the same problem with the "S" in that I was missing a tiny piece of the DSP on it. So I applied an orange flower I'd cut from the Loopy Flowers die to cover my mistake. That's a great die, if you like flowers - you can cut them apart and use them individually, or leave them in the string as they're cut.

I also added a Circle Fire rhinestone brad to the flower, as well as a dimensional to hold it up off the tag itself. And, finally, after cutting a hole in the tag with the Crop-a-dile, I added about 12 inches of Pumpkin Pie 5/8" grosgrain ribbon, so I can tie it to a bag.

D'ya think I'll be able to identify my bag from thousands of others at Convention this year?

Happy stamping!
Sam

PS Don't forget about the Stampin' Up! special this month - buy three packs of Designer Series Papers OR Textured Card Stock, and receive the fourth pack FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment