Friday, May 15, 2009

Father's Day Card Ideas

I finally got the Totally Tools set and got it mounted the other night, so tonight I played with it. Came up with some pretty cool ideas, for a first pass and NO CHEATING. (i.e., I didn't go blog hopping all over the place looking for ideas!).

These were all my own ideas - not that they're awesome, but they're OK, and pretty simple.

I decided there needed to be nails on this one, so I added silver brads, and hammered them flat.


For this one and the next one, I dragged out the old Faux Woodgrain technique. I added the "Happy Father's Day" from the ChitChat rub-ons set.


Faux woodgrain so easy! Place a couple of drops of different Re-inkers into a little tray (or on top of your stamp set container), then dampen them down with a little water (a spray bottle works fine), then dip an old toothbrush into the re-ink solution, and drag it along the CS to create a woodgrain look.

This one started with Summer Sun, More Mustard, a red (not sure which one it was - it was a leftover), Chocolate Chip, Really Rust, and Creamy Caramel.

I just kept going over the CS with different colors, until I was satisfied with the outcome.

I added a piece of 1 inch Chocolate Chip Double stitched grosgrain ribbon. Notice the ribbon doesn't make it too feminine - it just adds some more dimension. I used Close to Cocoa CS for the main part of the card, and a little Basic Gray CS as backing for the tape measure.


This one was done on Handsome Hunter, with Kiwi Kiss, and piece of hemp. On several of the cards, I used the Sanded background on the darkest piece - I used Whisper White Craft ink for that, and let it dry for a while before constructing the rest of the card.


For this last card, I used a piece of left-over faux woodgrain to embellish it a bit, then stamped an image from True Friend in Chocolate Chip.

Had I not already glued the piece down and not been able to get it off without destroying the card, I would have added some of the Circle Designer Brads to the center of the embellishment.

That would provide a "Step It Up" look for the card, though, so if you have some when you make this card, add them and get a totally new look!

And finally, here's a photo of my "helper" tonight.


Yep, that's Smedley laying ALL OVER my work space. Good thing this was AFTER I'd gotten all the cards made... He's usually pretty good about staying out of my way when I'm working, but every once in a while, he's a pesty nuisance - just NEEDS to be petted RIGHT NOW! And he's very vocal about it, too!

Have a great Friday!
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment