Friday, February 19, 2010

Electronics! Love 'em or Hate 'em?

Have you ever had problems with electronics?

You know - cell phones, computers, printers, TVs...

Well about 2 months ago, it seemed as though EVERYTHING I own that's electronic was not working in some way or another. VERY frustrating, to say the least!

I kiddingly told someone Mercury must be retrograde - Mercury is the main influence on communications, whether electronic or otherwise, if you're into Astrology.

So, I checked Susan Miller's horriblescope site, and, sure enough - Mercury WAS retrograde!

So, the cell phone eventually started working again (although I still don't like this phone!), I found all my lost contacts for my email... But not without having spent about 3 hours on the phone with various "help" lines - and I use that term very loosely!

And I THOUGHT everything was working again...

Then the printer decided to die on me. It was in the middle of printing out some flyers, when it ran out of black ink.

So I changed the cartridge, tried printing again, and all I got was PINK!

OK, change out the rest of the cartridges - and now it doesn't print ANYTHING!

I get very frustrated with technology, very quickly. I can take about 3 stabs at fixing something before I get so upset I have to walk away from it.

And once I walk away, I'll talk myself out of tackling it again for WEEKS! I figure, I've already tried everything I know how to do, and nothing has worked, so I'd better not fiddle with it anymore, cause, sure as heck, I'm gonna screw it up further!

So last week I decided I NEEDED to get the photos printed for the family calendar. Our current one runs out the end of February!

Tackled it again, only to have the same thing happen - NUTHIN'

Worked my way thru the on-line help from Epson, did everything they told me to do, and then I couldn't find the printer anywhere! Finally called their help line (after several emails discussing the problem). The person I talked was very helpful, but....

... long story short. I ended up buying a new printer the other day. It was going to cost more to fix the old one than a new one costs.

That's a sad thing, don't you think? We've become such a "throw away" society, that it's cheaper to buy a new one than fix the old one...

And while I was buying the printer, I bought myself a different phone, too!

So, now I've got NEW electronic things to learn how to manipulate and mess up! As I walked out of the store with my new printer, the guy at the door said "Now the fun begins" - guess if you're an electronic geek, that IS the fun part.

The printer's all hooked up and I'm printing out the photos I want to use for the calendar.

I've made these calendars for about the past 5-6 years - I sort of have a process. But not matter how you cut it, making 4 handmade calendars is time consuming.

Don't get me wrong - I love making them and I love that they appreciate getting them. But they are time consuming.

I debated making them on My Digital Studio, but realized the smallest I could make was 8-1/2 x 11 - consensus was the smaller 6x6 is better for all of us. I suppose I could have come up with some sort of a work-around, but by now I've burned up any excess time to play with it that I might have had.

So, handmade it is!

Here are some sneak peaks - nothing is glued down, nothing is final as far as which photos will be on which pages. But it's a start!











Come back again in a few days, and, hopefully, I'll have some finished pages to show you!

In the meantime, just a reminder that it's Sale-A-Bration (SAB) time - pull out that Occasions mini-catalog and that SAB catalog, pull a $50 order together, select an SAB item, and give me a call!

Thanks for stopping by...

No comments:

Post a Comment