Wednesday, January 2, 2013

An Unexpected Christmas Gift

If you've followed me for any period of time, you know I'm "into" flowers.  Both the paper kind and real ones. 





It's been really COLD here lately - well, OK, cold for San Diego.  I think we've had frost a couple of nights, something we rarely experience. 

The picture of thermometer shown above was taken about 10 AM one day shortly before Christmas.  And it's SUNNY!   So, you can imagine it's probably much like where you might live - and you're used to it!

Normally by 10 AM, our temps are between 50 and 60 so we're not!

And then I looked around on the patio and saw this:




This is an epiphyllium.  A pink epiphyllium...  And it's almost ready to OPEN!

Unheard of in December!  As far back as I can remember, epis, as they're affectionately called, have bloomed later - like April or May!

But this year, I got an unexpected Christmas gift - this beautiful bloom



Here it is the next evening - like around 4 PM. 

And here it is Christmas Day, early in the AM:


It's totally open.  It's beautiful!  And it's NOT supposed to be blooming at this time of year!

Well, at least in MY experience...   But I stopped at a local nursery to get some wildflower seeds the day before this picture was taken and when I mentioned it's eminent bloom, the check-out gal said, "Oh yes, they LIKE cool weather!"  Well, as far back as I can remember (and I've had epis for at least 25 years), I've never had one bloom at Christmas!

And I'm not sure I remember this particular one blooming before, either.  It's a lovely shade of pink.

Normally, when these bloom, they open at dusk, last all the next day, and then die.  I've given them away over the years - they're very stunning in person and people are always impressed at their size.  Most do not have an aroma, although I have one that does...



But this one is STILL blooming, on New Year's Day.  I'm in shock!

Epis are very easy to cross pollinate (according to the books I've read), so there are MYRIADS of colors of these in the world.  The Safari Park, which is associated with the San Diego Zoo, has an entire building dedicated to epis.  It's a beautiful place to visit when they're blooming. 

I'm so pleased with my Christmas gift!  And so pleased that its bloom has lasted SO LONG!  Now I'm looking at the others, in hopes we might get early blooms on all of them this year, but so far, none of the rest are even looking close to blooming... 

By the way - our sunset Christmas evening was equally as impressive:



This was taken from the back patio of a friend's house.  She's closer to the ocean than I am, and has a more uncluttered view of the west than I have.  I may have to run over and visit her on other evenings when I can tell we're going to have a great sunset!  I'm so enamoured of beautiful sunsets!

Sorry no stamping to share this time around, but I've been busily working in my Stampin' Garage and will have something to share in my next post.  I've been playing with items from the Spring catalog, which goes LIVE tomorrow AM.

And shortly after that (January 22nd) Sale-A-Bration starts - FREE STAMPS!  Gotta love that!

Did you get the catalogs I had mailed to you?  If not, feel free to contact me and give me your mailing address and I'll be happy to get one out to you!

Thanks for stopping by - come back soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment