Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Neat New (?) Technique

Hi again!

Tonight I'm going to show you some cards I made using a technique Jan Tink has dubbed "Burnishing".

I know I've done this before (years ago!) and we didn't call it burnishing then, but it's a fun technique, and gives you quite lovely cards! Doncha think?
















You'll need an outline stamp set to do this technique justice. I'm using Awash with Flowers, which everyone was able to purchase during April.

But never fear, if you didn't purchase it then, it'll be back in the new catalog come July 1st. In the meantime, I hope to whet your whistle to purchase it then by showing you some awesome things to do with it!

You start this technique by stamping the outline stamps in black Staz-on ink. You want an ink that's not going to be picked up and moved when you get to step 2 of the process.

Here's one of the ideas I came up with:

You just want to create the outline of the images you want to add the technique to...

Next, you need some of our daubers.

You will pounce the dauber on the ink pad, then start rubbing the dauber inside the flower of your choice.

Keep rubbing, re-ink the dauber - keep rubbing until you get the color you like! The rubbing is the burnishing technique.

And then pick up a coordinating color and use it to highlight. Keep coloring your flowers (or whatever image you've chosen) until you're happy with the effects.

Here's another card I made using the Awash with Flowers set and the burnishing technique. Each and every card you make with this technique will be different - you'll stamp the images differently, or color them a little differently. And it's addicting!



Isn't this lovely?

I've used a large number of colors here in order to achieve the shading I wanted. Don't be afraid to experiment!








So, do you want to try this? Do! And let me know how much you enjoyed it by posting a photo in the comments section. I LOVE COMMENTS!

Happy stampin'

No comments:

Post a Comment