Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ruffly Flowers

I realized after I'd posted last night that although I made references to and showed photos of the ruffly flowers, I never really explained how to make them!

They're so easy!

Cut a 1" x 12" strip of either Whisper White, Very Vanilla, or one of the Designer Papers. Our colored card stock is too thick - it doesn't bend the way you want it to.

Punch along one side using the Scallop border punch. Sponge along the edges if you want. It does make the flower "pop" more if you do.



Run it through the corrugator 5-6 times. You're doing this to break down the fibers in the paper so that it will curl more easily.









Next, punch out a circle of CS using the 1-3/8 circle punch, and cover it with sticky strip.






Now take the beaten up, scallop punched strip and start scrunching it up and laying it down on the sticky strip covered CS circle. Start about 1/8 to 1/4" from the outside, and go around the circle, pushing it into the sticky strip.

You'll be able to make a little over 2 revolutions of the circle before you run out of paper.




Cover the middle with a corduroy button or some other sort of bling.







Add a couple of leaves. Place them where you started the strip around the circle, so that it covers that part.

I used the wings from the new XL 2-step bird punch to make mine, and adhered them with SNAIL.







Now take a couple of dimensionals and adhere the flower where ever you'd like it!

Besides the calendars my club ladies made, I also made a couple of cards with the flower to show its versatility.

Here's one in red...






And here's one I made using Rich Razzleberry.

I brayered the Bride DSP with Razzleberry ink, then made the flower.

I also used the Print Designs in Razzleberry, as well as some of the Razzleberry CS.

Again, I made the leaves for the flower from the XL 2-step bird punch.




A card with this flower on it will need to either be hand delivered, or mailed in a padded envelope. You definitely want the post office to hand cancel it!

So - are you excited about making these for yourself? Are you, even as you read this, running out to your stamp/craft room to begin the process? Let me know how they turn out for you - leave me a comment and a photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment