Friday, May 20, 2011

Color Challenge - Perfect Plum & Old Olive!



The other day I was blog hopping, as is my wont, and I came across a Color Challenge using the colors above.

Gotta tell ya - not my first choices of colors!

BUT, I decided since they WEREN'T my first choice that maybe I needed to try and work with them and see what I could come up with.

Now, a little reminder...

I'm a very simple stamper.

Until about three years ago I didn't even like adding ribbon to a card...

And then, one day, lo and behold, I looked at the samples I'd been playing with, and they all had ribbon!

How did THAT happen?

Don't know... but ever since then, a card looks a little bare without ribbon...

ANYHOO...

Back to the color challenge that wasn't really "turning me on"...

Old Olive
Perfect Plum
Marina Mist
Basic Black

I'll admit, once I got working with this color combo, I was able to come up with a few simple, useable cards.

Wanna see?


And when this one was "done", I kept looking at it and thinking it needed just one more thing - and that's when I added those beautiful pearls. Did you see them?

Go ahead, look again... I'll wait...

Besides limiting my color selections, I also limited the stamp sets I used.

I saw this color challenge as more masculine colors, and wanted the stamps to match the mood.

The stamp sets I used were On The Grow (Item 123075 [W] $15.95) and The Open Sea (Item 123030 [W] $26.95). Both these sets are available in the new Summer Mini-catalog.

Don't have one? Call or email - I'd be delighted to get one in the mail for you!

Or you can go to my website and see it online, if you'd rather.

Here's one using The Open Sea.




I added some of the new Bakers Twine to this one, and used the largest stamp in The Open Sea as a background stamp to add some visual interest.




I used the Baker's Twine on this one, too, and the threw in a little embellishment using So Saffron. I also put Crystal Effects on the flowers in the basket on the scooter - gives it a little pizazz, which I thought it brightened it up a bit.

I think that's why I'm not crazy about the color combo - it's too dull for my taste! But I was able to create using them, so this was a good challenge for me to undertake.

I love those bright colors, ya know... And they're always my first choice.

Just a reminder that May is National Scrapbooking Month and that Stampin' Up! has a scrapbooking special for you!

Several stamp sets on sale for 30% off, and a LOT of My Digital Studio (MDS) downloads available - also at a discount!


30% Off Stamp Sets
Page Description Wood-Mount Item Wood-Mount Sale Price Clear-Mount Item Clear-Mount Sale Price
54 Party Hearty 111532 $18.87
54 Célèbre en grand (French) 111722 $18.87
87 Grunge Rock 117080(W) $14.67 120555(C) $11.17
94 Animal Stories 116716 $11.17
106 Printed Petals 116679(W) $13.97 120444(C) $10.47
108 Simple Friendship 113397 $18.17
147 Word Play 120308(W) $29.37 120651(C) $20.27
162 Sweet Shoppe Alphabet Lower 120272(W) $22.37 120648(C) $16.77
17* Días Felices 115720 $13.27
20* Cumpleaños 112899 $11.17

*From Celebrando Creatividad

Are you interested in any of these sets? Call or email - I'd be pleased to order them for you.

For the MDS downloads, you'll need to order them online from my website, as they're downloaded on to YOUR hard drive - ready to be used immediately! How handy is that?

Thanks for stopping by - come back again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment